Skip to main content

How I Started To Own My Story

Hello Poetteers,


As a young girl with a mother who sold Islamic books that was all I read. As I grew up I started going to the public library and bookstore. I didn't find any books with Muslim characters. I would occasionally find a non fiction book stating the basic facts of Islam.

I have a love for story telling and am an avid reader. At a young age I started to write my own stories. They weren't exactly my own. My characters weren't Muslim and had white sounding names. I didn't feel any emotion in these stories because I wasn't attached. I kept writing them, though. It was all I knew.

Eventually I found a novel that had a Muslim character. Reading that story gave me the push to write my actual own story. It takes one story for you to get going and keep going. Write the story for yourself first. Ask yourself what you want to hear and read. Since then I barely find any Muslim driven stories but I keep writing.

In the back of my head, though, I was scared to write because I thought I wouldn't do it justice but it's my experience and my story to tell. I was scared to write because I thought I had to write everyone's story.

I continue to write because I found a community that is like-minded. I hope you check out #OwnYourOwn. It opened me up and gave me the inspiration, encouragement and motivation to keep writing and one day share them.

It is okay to have fear but channel it for good things.

Stay inspired,
Fida

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love-A-Thon: Book Spine Poetry

Hello Poetteers,  It is another day of LoveAThon challenges. This morning we have to come up with some book spine poems.  Rose under fire burned into cinder my name is memory.   Out of the easy and between shades of gray  say what you will every last word.   Her treasures are written in the stars because every soul is a star. I had too much fun with this. I hope you enjoyed this! You can find more poetry hacks here . My poetry book, Her Treasures, is available here .  Thank you, Fida 

Hearing About IWSG

Hello readers, I was reading Ali's post about this support group that talks about writerly doubts. I have doubts and I shall share them because that's the point of a support group. I used to be insecure about traditional publishing, that no one with accept my writing. Then I heard of self publishing. Yet that added to my insecurities. I have no money or talent to showcase my writing. After IndieReCon I felt a better, yet once the high went away, I find it's only a little bit better. I need a team, I need help. I call for help, but I don't get replies. That's another insecurity, I don't think I have any fans. My blog is becoming dead and I keep thinking of deactivating my twitter. The only reason I stay is for the knowledge. And the worse insecurity, dare I say it. All the above add to me... wanting to quit writing. I have little motivation and that motivation is to show my Muslim community you don't have to be a doctor or lawyer or teacher to be...

What's up Wed: Blog Tour Day 3

Hello readers, What I'm Reading CROWN OF MIDNIGHT! The first book was already great but this second book kicked it up a notch with the OMG! moments. What I'm Writing : I'm keeping on with NaNoWriMo at 28k! In between I'm switching back and forth between two stories: Reading Deciding Hijab after a long break. I forgot about her short conversation about a school dance club. I didn't even put in a scene of her joining after the conversation. More revisions to come. The other story is one I have a sneak peak on Wattpad . What Else : It's day three of belated Hugs & Kisses blog tour. Earlier this month Medeia reviewed my book . If you have read it or is planning to read it I would love to see your review on goodreads ! Poetry Prompt : Write about the feeling reading gives you. a Rafflecopter giveaway Love, Fida # Poetteers