Skip to main content

Put Your Poem into Shape

Hello Poetteers,


I've heard of shape poetry, but only recently tried it out. The name itself tells you what it is. It is a poem that takes on a form of a shape. Shape poetry is a visual result of what a poem is talking about. Ask yourself what is your poem talking about? Is it about a shape or refers to a topic concerning that shape?

This poem is about loving myself. When you love yourself it feels like you have wings. This is what I attempted:


This is another poem about loving yourself, so I made it into a heart.


Shape poetry is only one type of visual poetry. Another type of visual poetry is that in your poem you can let specific words enhance their meaning. Enhancing the word will add emphasis and emotion to what the full poem is talking about. I can't wait to try it. You can find more about it here.

Stay inspired, Fida

P.S. So many of you love the poem, Capture It, I designed it for a magnet. It is now available here.

Comments

salaam sister in Islam Fida MashaAllah you are talented in writing :) I think this shape poetry is called concrete poetry where your poem is written in a way that forms a shape or image? are you residing in Malaysia sister Fida or abroad?
It is good to find another Muslim poet MashaAllah who are your favorite classic poets sister Fida? I've been writing poetry since about twelve or thirteen years old and have enjoyed writing poems since then Alhamdulillah I have written a number of poems but haven't had them published yet though if I do have my first published book inshaAllah I may write more Islamic books when Allah Wills :) May Allah the Most Merciful bless your writing talents sis Fida and May Allah grant you more wisdom. AMEEN <3
Fida Islaih said…
Shape poetry is a type of visual poetry. You can call it either/or visual poetry or concrete poetry.
Fida Islaih said…
In other blog posts you can find me talking about my favorite poets.

Popular posts from this blog

Love-A-Thon: Book Spine Poetry

Hello Poetteers,  It is another day of LoveAThon challenges. This morning we have to come up with some book spine poems.  Rose under fire burned into cinder my name is memory.   Out of the easy and between shades of gray  say what you will every last word.   Her treasures are written in the stars because every soul is a star. I had too much fun with this. I hope you enjoyed this! You can find more poetry hacks here . My poetry book, Her Treasures, is available here .  Thank you, Fida 

Hearing About IWSG

Hello readers, I was reading Ali's post about this support group that talks about writerly doubts. I have doubts and I shall share them because that's the point of a support group. I used to be insecure about traditional publishing, that no one with accept my writing. Then I heard of self publishing. Yet that added to my insecurities. I have no money or talent to showcase my writing. After IndieReCon I felt a better, yet once the high went away, I find it's only a little bit better. I need a team, I need help. I call for help, but I don't get replies. That's another insecurity, I don't think I have any fans. My blog is becoming dead and I keep thinking of deactivating my twitter. The only reason I stay is for the knowledge. And the worse insecurity, dare I say it. All the above add to me... wanting to quit writing. I have little motivation and that motivation is to show my Muslim community you don't have to be a doctor or lawyer or teacher to be...

What's up Wed: Blog Tour Day 3

Hello readers, What I'm Reading CROWN OF MIDNIGHT! The first book was already great but this second book kicked it up a notch with the OMG! moments. What I'm Writing : I'm keeping on with NaNoWriMo at 28k! In between I'm switching back and forth between two stories: Reading Deciding Hijab after a long break. I forgot about her short conversation about a school dance club. I didn't even put in a scene of her joining after the conversation. More revisions to come. The other story is one I have a sneak peak on Wattpad . What Else : It's day three of belated Hugs & Kisses blog tour. Earlier this month Medeia reviewed my book . If you have read it or is planning to read it I would love to see your review on goodreads ! Poetry Prompt : Write about the feeling reading gives you. a Rafflecopter giveaway Love, Fida # Poetteers