Skip to main content

What's up Wednesday: Fall 2014 edition

Hello readers,

It's been too long. I've been on an unplanned novel writing hiatus. I do hope to get back to novel writing next month. I did, though, self publish a third poetry collection, HUGS & KISSES.

What I'm Reading:

I have two book reviews up. Shorts & In The Rearview. Also I've been in a reading slump, so this past week I've been jumping into many different books I'm excited to read and hope to finish soon.

What Else I've Been Up To:

College classes are starting up again, so I've been getting busy again.

What's Inspiring Me:

Seeing poetry around me to write.

Thank you and love,

Fida

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hey, good to see you again. Looks like there's a change in WUW prescribed format this week: "What's Inspiring me" is out, and "What's working for me" is in!!

Good luck with the college classes.
Fida Islaih said…
Yeah I saw the change after I hit publish. I hopefully will change that for next week's post. And thank you!
Mere Joyce said…
Classes starting up can definitely be a bit hectic...hopefully you still get some time for reading and writing!
Jaime Morrow said…
Hope you're able to get back to writing and that your reading slump is over! Have a great week, Fida! :D
Unknown said…
Congrats on getting your third poetry book out. And good luck finding time for fiction between classes. Have a great week!
Miss Cole said…
Enjoy your new classes and fitting all that writing around your learning ^_^
Erin L. Funk said…
Hope classes are going well! Glad to hear you're finding inspiration for poems in the things around you. :)
Sara Eastler said…
Hi Fida, it's great that you've completed a chapbook of poetry. Will you submit any of them to contests? The Tom Howard/Margaret Reid Poetry Contest is open right now! I bet your multi-cultural background makes for a great asset in your writing. The parts I've read of the Qur'an are very beautiful. All the best to you as classes begin! Sara
Sara Eastler said…
Fida, I was just reading about your second collection of poems. I wanted to tell you that one of the poems I submitted was a sestina called THE LETTER HOME about a family I know whose home in Palestine was seized. The poem takes place years later when the boy who grew up there returns to his childhood home (in the company of news reporters for "protection") and writes about it to his father. I think our hearts share a common love. :-)
Fida Islaih said…
Aww... thank you so much for writing that poem and this comment. I'm glad we have this common love. I will think about the contest. Thank you again! (-:
Anonymous said…
Congrats on publishing your poetry collection! Hope you have a great week of classes :)

Popular posts from this blog

Love-A-Thon: Book Spine Poetry

Hello Poetteers,  It is another day of LoveAThon challenges. This morning we have to come up with some book spine poems.  Rose under fire burned into cinder my name is memory.   Out of the easy and between shades of gray  say what you will every last word.   Her treasures are written in the stars because every soul is a star. I had too much fun with this. I hope you enjoyed this! You can find more poetry hacks here . My poetry book, Her Treasures, is available here .  Thank you, Fida 

Hearing About IWSG

Hello readers, I was reading Ali's post about this support group that talks about writerly doubts. I have doubts and I shall share them because that's the point of a support group. I used to be insecure about traditional publishing, that no one with accept my writing. Then I heard of self publishing. Yet that added to my insecurities. I have no money or talent to showcase my writing. After IndieReCon I felt a better, yet once the high went away, I find it's only a little bit better. I need a team, I need help. I call for help, but I don't get replies. That's another insecurity, I don't think I have any fans. My blog is becoming dead and I keep thinking of deactivating my twitter. The only reason I stay is for the knowledge. And the worse insecurity, dare I say it. All the above add to me... wanting to quit writing. I have little motivation and that motivation is to show my Muslim community you don't have to be a doctor or lawyer or teacher to be...

What's up Wed: Blog Tour Day 3

Hello readers, What I'm Reading CROWN OF MIDNIGHT! The first book was already great but this second book kicked it up a notch with the OMG! moments. What I'm Writing : I'm keeping on with NaNoWriMo at 28k! In between I'm switching back and forth between two stories: Reading Deciding Hijab after a long break. I forgot about her short conversation about a school dance club. I didn't even put in a scene of her joining after the conversation. More revisions to come. The other story is one I have a sneak peak on Wattpad . What Else : It's day three of belated Hugs & Kisses blog tour. Earlier this month Medeia reviewed my book . If you have read it or is planning to read it I would love to see your review on goodreads ! Poetry Prompt : Write about the feeling reading gives you. a Rafflecopter giveaway Love, Fida # Poetteers