Skip to main content

Review of UVC

Hello readers,

I read this book when I got the ARC for a review (I apologize for no poem). Before I get to that here's the purple-mazing cover and blurb! 


Ultraviolet Catastrophe book blurb: Quantum Electrodynamics. String Theory. Schrödinger's cat. For sixteen-year-old Lexie Kepler, they’re just confusing terms in her science textbooks, until she finds out that her parents have been drugging her to suppress her outrageous IQ. Now BranstonAcademy, a school run by the world’s most powerful scientists, has tracked her down and is dying for her to attend - as a research subject. 


She takes refuge at Quantum Technologies, a secret scientific community where her father works as a top-notch scientist, and begins her new life as “girl genius” at Quantum High. But the assignments at her new school make the Manhattan Project look like preschool - and Lexie barely survived freshman algebra.


Her first big assignment – creating an Einstein-Rosen bridge – is also her first chance to prove she can hold her own with the rest of QT's prodigies. But while working with the infuriatingly hot Asher Rosen, QT’s teen wonder, Lexieuncovers a mistake in their master equation. Instead of a wormhole, the machine they’re building would produce deadly ultraviolet rays that could destroy the world.  


When the lead scientist on their project turns up as apopsicle in the cryo chamber, Lexie learns that the “mistake” in the equation is actually a carefully crafted plan to sabotage Quantum Technologies. And all signs point to BranstonAcademy being the culprit. Now Lexie and Asher have to use their combined brainpower to stop Branston from stealing the plans and selling the doomsday device to the highest bidder, before everyone at QT is caught in the ultraviolet catastrophe.


My Review: Weeks after reading UVC I'm still thinking of it. Lexie proved to herself and her new friends that she is strong. I could relate to her. I love the relationships she has. 


I was pulled in and on my seat at the first page wondering along with the MC about what's going on. I feel sad and angry along with her when she talked to her dad. I have to say I kind of can relate to her on that. I'm not just feeling the MC, but her mom too. I'm glad we have clues. There is some what of a love triangle that I love. I want to see how both and all relationships go. You can't forget all the projects going on. There are twists you wouldn't even expect.  I almost cried during some parts. I feel like I'm a part of what they are doing. It's scary what they are doing and brave. It's sad to see people turn on you. Last but not least, you'll love the references. 



About the author Jamie Grey: Jamie Grey spent most of her childhood writing stories about princesses who saved the day and pretending to be a daring explorer. It wasn’t until much later that she realized she should combine the two. Now, as a tech-obsessed gamer geek, her novels mix amazing scientific developments, future worlds, and the remarkable characters that live in them.
Jamie lives in Michigan with her significant other and their pets, who luckily tolerate her overspending on tea, books, and video games. You can learn more about her at www.jamiegreybooks.com, or follow her on twitter via @jamie_grey.

Comments

Jamie Grey said…
Thank you so much for the lovely review! I'm so happy you liked it!
Crystal Collier said…
Awesome. Sounds like a great book, and I just might have to get my hands on it. =)
Haneen Ibrahim said…
I love stories about children with high IQs, this sounds like a nice book :)

Popular posts from this blog

Love-A-Thon: Book Spine Poetry

Hello Poetteers,  It is another day of LoveAThon challenges. This morning we have to come up with some book spine poems.  Rose under fire burned into cinder my name is memory.   Out of the easy and between shades of gray  say what you will every last word.   Her treasures are written in the stars because every soul is a star. I had too much fun with this. I hope you enjoyed this! You can find more poetry hacks here . My poetry book, Her Treasures, is available here .  Thank you, Fida 

Hearing About IWSG

Hello readers, I was reading Ali's post about this support group that talks about writerly doubts. I have doubts and I shall share them because that's the point of a support group. I used to be insecure about traditional publishing, that no one with accept my writing. Then I heard of self publishing. Yet that added to my insecurities. I have no money or talent to showcase my writing. After IndieReCon I felt a better, yet once the high went away, I find it's only a little bit better. I need a team, I need help. I call for help, but I don't get replies. That's another insecurity, I don't think I have any fans. My blog is becoming dead and I keep thinking of deactivating my twitter. The only reason I stay is for the knowledge. And the worse insecurity, dare I say it. All the above add to me... wanting to quit writing. I have little motivation and that motivation is to show my Muslim community you don't have to be a doctor or lawyer or teacher to be...

What's up Wed: Blog Tour Day 3

Hello readers, What I'm Reading CROWN OF MIDNIGHT! The first book was already great but this second book kicked it up a notch with the OMG! moments. What I'm Writing : I'm keeping on with NaNoWriMo at 28k! In between I'm switching back and forth between two stories: Reading Deciding Hijab after a long break. I forgot about her short conversation about a school dance club. I didn't even put in a scene of her joining after the conversation. More revisions to come. The other story is one I have a sneak peak on Wattpad . What Else : It's day three of belated Hugs & Kisses blog tour. Earlier this month Medeia reviewed my book . If you have read it or is planning to read it I would love to see your review on goodreads ! Poetry Prompt : Write about the feeling reading gives you. a Rafflecopter giveaway Love, Fida # Poetteers